tr1

Saturday, March 7, 2015

A dying breed: The American shopping mall

It used to be when a sign at the mall said EVERYTHING MUST GO, it meant a particular store was going out of business. These days it could very likely mean the entire mall is shutting down. Our Cover Story is reported by Mark Strassmann.
This story was originally broadcast on March 23, 2014.
"This was a working fountain, wasn't it? Many, many years ago?" said Audrey Caligiuri.
"Yup," said Dayne Bihn, "it definitely was."
These are the ruins of a dying culture: the American shopping mall.
Caligiuri grew up outside of Toledo, and like many of her generation, she spent much of her teenage years hanging out at the Woodville Mall.
"The mall was always the place to go," she said. "It was always busy. I mean, you couldn't even get parking spots a lot here. I probably spent most of my paycheck in my high school years at JC Penney's and Petrie's."

deserted-shopping-mal.jpg
With the explosion of the Internet and changing shopping habits, hundreds of U.S. malls are expected to close their doors - like the Woodville Mall outside Toledo, Ohio.
CBS News
Audrey wasn't alone -- everyone wanted to go to the mall. For half a century the mall was the Mecca of our booming consumer culture, a fact celebrated in many a teen movie.
America's love affair with shopping malls began in 1956, when the nation's first fully-enclosed mall, Southdale, opened its doors outside Minneapolis.
"This was the most exciting period in this economy," said Robin Lewis, author of "The New Rules of Retail." "Actually, the most explosive growth anywhere on Earth at any time during history, the early '50s through the '70s.
"In the mid-'50s Dwight Eisenhower signed the Interstate Highway Act, and they constructed 54,000 miles of interstate highway. Now, what that did immediately is it provided mobility for the population which, prior to that, had been mainly rural. So they began to move into the suburbs and cities.
"But also, what it afforded was the ability to construct these regional malls, and they just exploded across the country."
Between 1956 and 2005, about 1,500 malls were built, including the Mall of America, one of the world's biggest -- 4.2 million square feet of stores, an amusement park, even a wedding chapel. And it attracts millions of visitors each year, from all over the world.
It was a Golden Age of shopping, which lasted until a new Golden Age came along, courtesy of the Internet.
"All of a sudden, the consumer now has every single retail store throughout the world a key tap away," said Lewis.
Today, malls across the U.S. are dying. No new enclosed mall has been built since 2006, and Lewis predicts fully half of all our malls will close in the next 10 years.

Shopping trends conspire to close Northland mall


2063 47 1 LINKEDIN 66 COMMENTMORE


Southfield — Northland Center mall, which started the trend of sprawling suburban shopping centers half a century ago, has found itself the victim of shopping trends.
The mall is bleeding nearly a quarter million dollars a month, its owners told Oakland Circuit Judge Wendy Potts on Wednesday, who ruled it was a failing business with no real chance of financial recovery.
The remaining 70 merchants were given 30 days to vacate the mall, which Mayor Donald Fracassi called a "cornerstone" of the city since it opened in 1954.
Northland, one of the nation's first enclosed malls and featuring an iconic Marshall Frederick sculpture of "The Boy and the Bear," was born in an era when the suburbs were booming. Its 110 acres and 1.2 million square feet of retail space served a new, mobile clientele that was moving out of Detroit into growing suburbs.
Mike Bernacchi, professor of business administration who teaches marketing and consumer behavior at University of Detroit Mercy College, said shopping malls are going through great changes — the "remalling of America," he called it — driven by geography, demographics, aging shoppers, major retailers going under and online shopping.
"(Northland) is a museum of shopping excellence," Bernacchi said. "When it was built it was the cat's meow. But that was over 50 years ago."
Driving the changes is the millennial generation and "their mobile devices" doing an increasing amount of their shopping online, he said.
"We are deeply disappointed that the Northland Center will soon be closing," Fracassi said. But, he added, the land is valuable, there have been talks with developers and he is confident the location will be redeveloped in some fashion, "likely mixed use."
"We are very optimistic that this important area of the city will be revitalized by new development or redevelopment plans in the near future," Fracassi said.
Debra Grace, who who operates a dental office in the mall said: "We're devastated. We have patients in the middle of dental treatment."
She said outside Potts' courtroom that one month is not enough time to move, and that six months would be more appropriate.
Attorney John W. Polderman, who represents the mall's receiver, said more time was not an option. He said the mall would be placed up for sale with a broker and a marketing campaign over the next four months.
graphic
'It's really sad'
Jerry Michaelson, 77, of Bloomfield Hills was one of many Metro Detroiters sorry to hear of the mall's apparent pending closing.
"It's really sad," Michaelson said. "It was once the premier enclosed mall. There was J.L. Hudson and other stores there, all long gone now, and even a hotel next door. Everyone went there."
Jennifer Washington of Detroit, who was shopping at Northland on Wednesday, was stunned by the news that the mall would close next month.
"It's a punch to the gut," said Washington, who was breaking the winter blues by shopping for some "summer fashions."
"It's sad not just because it's been here for so long but for so many people it's one of the only places they can shop. A lot of people can't get to other areas. I don't know what they're going to do."
Bill and Diane Yagerlener of West Bloomfield Township made a special trip to Northland to take photos inside the mall, spending time admiring the "Boy and Bear" sculpture and the large World War II Memorial plaque honoring all of the J.L. Hudson Co. employees who served during the war.
"Anyone who ever went there probably has memories of the bear," he said of the statue outside of Macy's, which was originally J.L. Hudson's department store. "And the memorial plaque has hundreds of names on it, it's quite impressive. There is a star next to the names of those who died in the war."
Stuart Stein said his optometry business, Dr. Benjamin H. Stein, started by his father in 1956, is the oldest operating business at the mall.
"This is just awful," Stein said. "We have been here for over 50 years and have customers that rely on us. We aren't going to curl up and cry — we will relocate somewhere else but it's going to take some time."
Budget shortfall of $5M
The mall has lost all its anchor stores and has a budget shortfall of $5 million, Polderman said.
"The benefits it has to all — its tenants, owners and the community — are outweighed by the losses," Potts said.
Ashkenazy Acquisition, which bought the mall in 2008, defaulted on a $31 million payment last year and has not kept up with maintenance or needed repairs, according to Polderman.
Macy's announced in January it planned to close its store in the spring. Target said in November it would close its store this month. J.C. Penney left the mall in 2000.
Bernacchi said the loss of anchor stores, which traditionally create the foot traffic needed to make smaller stores successful, is usually the first sign that a mall is in trouble.
Fracassi noted that in the past three years, there have been more than $100 million in private and public infrastructure investment in the area, including $6.5 million in transportation and road improvements, including the new Northland Bus Transit Center.
"Not too many pieces of property have their own bus station," he said. "This is very valuable."
He said nearby Providence Hospital has expressed some interest in the property and said there could be some form of partnership with others.
Northland is the second mall in the county to close in recent months. In December, Summit Place Mall in Waterford Township lost its last anchor store, Sears, and closed up. At its peak, the Summit Place once had 200 tenants, restaurants, a food court and a movie theater.
Summit Place, like other malls, was impacted by several strip malls built nearby, the creation of big box stores and the development in Auburn Hills of Great Lakes Crossing Mall — which recently opened an aquarium — and other shopping areas along Interstate 75.
John Cromer, a leasing manager for Tower Center Mall about five miles away from Northland on Grand River, walked around Wednesday talking to merchants. He passed out applications for those who might want to relocate to Tower Center.
"We have 26 spaces and 220,000 square feet of space," said Cromer, who added he "grew up" at Northland. "I think for many of them we would be a good fit. Many were already packing up today but don't know what they are going to do next. They don't have a Plan B. Maybe we can be it.
"They can still do business in one of Detroit's busiest areas."

Malls prep for attacks after jihadi call to arms

Authorities said there is no credible threat associated with the Mall of America after al-Shabaab, a Somali militant group with ties to al-Qaeda, released a video calling for attacks on shopping malls in the U.S., U.K. and Canada. VPC
1902 142 20 LINKEDIN 119 COMMENTMORE
Managers of giant shopping malls from New Jersey to San Diego are on alert for terrorist threats and say they are coordinating with law enforcement after release of a Somali extremist group video encouraging deadly attacks.
Westfield Corp., manager of 38 flagship malls across the United States and more internationally, said Monday that it sees "no evidence of an imminent threat'' to its centers but "will take every available step to keep our shopping centers safe.''
While declining to discuss specific security measures, the company said its top security executives are coordinating with local police and government agencies.
It said its malls -- which include the giant Garden State Plaza outside New York City, Montgomery Mall outside Washington, D.C., Horton Plaza in San Diego, Century City in Los Angeles and the Westfield San Francisco Centre​ near Union Square -- are operating as normal despite "significant resources'' devoted to security.
The video threatening a terror attack was released by al-Shabaab, a southern Somalia-based group that took responsibility for an attack in 2013 at the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya, that left more than 60 people dead.
"If just a handful of mujahedin fighters could bring Kenya to a complete standstill for nearly a week, imagine what a dedicated mujahedin in the West could do to the American or Jewish-owned shopping centers across the world," an unidentified man says on the video. "What if such an attack was to occur in the Mall of America in Minnesota?"
The International Council of Shopping Centers, a New York-based trade association, said many other smaller centers and malls across the country are updating security planning with local authorities.
"The shopping center industry will continue to work with its law enforcement partners to ensure that shopping centers are safe and comfortable environments in which to shop,'' the council said. "Consumers can be assured that their safety and the safety of shopping center employees are the industry's number one priority."
The Mall of America, the large center at Bloomington, Minn., took immediate steps. Bloomington police released a statement on behalf of the mall law-enforcement agencies saying it sees "no credible threat'' to the mall as a result of the video. It said the mall has "implemented extra security precautions."
Jesse Tron, spokesman for the International Council of Shopping Centers, said mall security has been constantly upgraded since the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, but that there was no "one size fits all'' security plan for shopping centers.
"There won't be any mad dash or scramble to improve security because security is constantly evolving and improving," Trontold USA TODAY. "Security officials are not reactionary because they have been doing this all along."
That doesn't mean there won't be additional security measures. The Mall of America issued a statement saying it had "implemented extra security precautions."
But mall safety continues to mean uniformed and non-uniformed officers, video cameras and other measures seen and unseen, Tron said. It also means an online terrorism awareness program that teaches officers what to watch for, what to report and how to stay alert to threats 24/7.
Communication is the key, Tron said. Security works closely with local law enforcement. Any SWAT team sent to a mall likely has been there before in training. Plans are in place. And when a threat surfaces, information is shared with police and other officials.
"It's not just mall security staff, it's local PD, the FBI -- they are all working on these things every day," said Jim Fernandez, who overseas the online Shopping Center Security Terrorism Awareness Training Program and other terrorism awareness programs at LSU's Stephenson National Center for Security Research and Training.
Fernandez said a couple thousand security officers take the center's online training program every year.
"It can look at everything from taking notice if someone wears a long winter coat into the mall on a hot summer day to handling an active shooter situation," Fernandez said.
The Mall of America, among the largest shopping malls in the world, employs more than 12,000 people at more than 500 stores and 50 restaurants. It is the world's busiest mall, bringing in more than 40 million visitors annually.
Mall officials issued a statement saying they take any potential threat seriously. It added that some precautions will be noticeable, others won't.
Bloomington Police said there is no credible threat associated with the video. The police statement jointly issued with the FBI, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, the Hennepin County Sheriff's Department, Metro Transit Police and Mall of America Security, called the Mall of America a "very safe place."
Still, the secretary of Homeland Security warned shoppers at malls across the nation to be vigilant in the wake of new terrorist threats.
"I'm not telling people to not go to the mall," Secretary Jeh Johnson said Sunday on NBC's Meet the Press. "I think that there needs to be an awareness."
The FBI and Department of Homeland Security issued a statement Sunday saying they have been working closely with state and local authorities in recent months to "prevent and mitigate these types of threats."
"We are in constant communication with federal officials," Tron said. "Safety is always the number one priority."

tr6